direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Inhalt des Dokuments

FAQ - Frequently asked questions of current students

Upon Arrival

The international office can help you with visa issues and with many other concerns. Also check the general student's guide for first information. You will receive more specific information for this study program on the introduction day.

Where can I live in Berlin?

The International Office can help you with finding an accommodation in Berlin. Moreover, Berlin offers you many possibilities of cheap living. In the internet there are many platforms for finding shared apartments, e.g. www.wg-gesucht.de.

Any tips where to go and what to do?

Tip #1: Prices for a room in a shared flat can also be found between 300 and 400 Euro. Mind also areas closer to the university like Moabit or Wedding for lower prices.

Tip #2: Use bikes or scooters. Why? Because you will experience the city completely differently and you will find hidden spots on your way. There is no "Call a bike" anymore, but similiar offers like nextbike. Berlin is fast changing. A new trend is to rent cheap electrical scooters with emmy or coup. You can also easily buy a used bike for less then 100€.

Tip #3: When you drive with public transportation, don't forget to have in addition to your student card your printed certificate of enrollment with you. It will be sent to you via mail. Digital copies on your phone won't be accepted by ticket inspectors and they control especially at the beginning of the semester.

Tip #4: There are several pages on facebook to find out about interesting events and more in Berlin. One that is very recommendable is mitvergnuegen.com. (In German though, you might use it with google translator)

Will there be any scholarships available?

TU-Berlin itself does not pro­vide scholarships to students of IME. However, scholarships are available through different organizations (DAAD, Mum­mert Stiftung, Haniel Stiftung, Deutschlandstipendium etc.).

What will my double degree certificate look like?

You will receive two different certificates. The certificate for the Master of Science at TU Berlin will show 120 ECTS. The certificate of the partner university depends on how many ECTS the usual Master's degree receive. In case of a 4 semesters study it is also 120 ECTS. There is no extra information on the certificate, that you did a double degree program.

During Studies

What does the master thesis process look like?

If you write your thesis at the TU Berlin:

You have to find a chair/professor that will supervise your thesis. Also other chairs than the IME chair are possible. The process of finding a topic varies. Sometimes chairs publish possible topics, sometimes they let you find your own topic. If you already have a specific topic in mind, you should find chairs that already research in this direction and contact them with your idea.

Once you found a supervisor, they will set a timeline individually and give you their requirements. This differs from supervisor to supervisor and you have to check with her/him.


If you write your thesis at the partner university:

You will be supervised by your lecturers at the partner university (first and sometimes even a second supervisor) but you will still need a supervisor at the TU Berlin. The supervisor of TU Berlin will not be involved in the contextual and methodological supervision. He or she will read and grade your thesis after you have handed in. Henrike Weber (http://www.entrepreneurship.tu-berlin.de/menue/ueber_uns/kontakt_team_anfahrt/ansprechpartner_eim_fachgebiet/henrike_weber) will help you find a potential supervisor of our institute but this is only for the official requirements to have a second or third person who grades your thesis.



There is one graduation ceremony for all of the TU Berlin students from faculty. We do not have our own graduation ceremony for IMES.



Do I need to write two Master thesis for the double degree program?

No, you will write only one Master thesis at the partner university.

Can I take more than 30 Credits per semester?

Yes you can. If you have too many courses in total, they will appear on your diploma, but the extra ones (with the worse grade) won't count for the final grade.

Extra courses can't be considered instead of other courses at the partner universities for the double degree.

Can I do less than 30 credits per semester? / Part time study?

Yes, this is possible as well. There are also no extra fees for longer studies.

Can I work part time while studying?

This is also possible, as you can usually arrange your schedule to have two days completely off. Working 10-15 hours is easily possible, 20 hours might be tough at times of many deadlines and exams. For more hours a reduction of credits per semester is recommended.

How can I enroll and re-enroll for the next semester?

You need to pay the tuition fee of usually around €300 until the deadline and you will be automatically re-enrolled. You will also receive an email to your TU Berlin email address. You can find all further relevant information here.

When do I need to apply for the partner universities?

Please find more information under Partner Universities.

Do I need to be enrolled during my stay at the partner university?

Incoming students from partner universities don't have to be enrolled during there stay at the partner universities.

Outgoing students have to be enrolled. But they can apply for vacation semesters (Urlaubssemester). At Campus Center you can receive application papers for that. (Ask for help at Campus Center to fill them in, since they are in German) In addition you can save the public transportation ticket with another paper. Finally, you need to pay around €60 for administrative fee (Verwaltungsgebühr) and the student body fee (Beitrag zur Studierendenschaft). A receipt of the payment is needed.

You need to hand in one application for each semester. Furthermore at least a proof of acceptance at the partner university is needed in paper format. A printed email is sufficient.

Is it possible to study only in Berlin?

Each student has to complete at least 30 ECTS abroad. You can also chose a university besides Warsaw, Twente and Moscow. However, in this case you have to organize your stay abroad and arrange everything with the examination board on your own.

How can I get the credit points I gained during my Erasmus semester/single degree recognized?

Please contact Dagmar Bauer directly.

What if I cannot complete 30 CP during my semester abroad?

If your courses differ from your learning agreement and you won't gain 30 CP due to course cancellation or else, please make sure to find other ways to achieve 30 CP abroad. Unfortunately, we cannot count undergraduate courses for our master degree. If you cannot find any additional master's courses, you have the option to attend online courses or winter/summer schools. Please note that it is essential that any courses need to have academic credit points in order for us to give you credit for them.

After Graduation

Which degrees will I get after graduating?

You will get the academic degrees Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship at TU-Berlin and either Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Business Administration at the University of Twente, Master in Management (Magister) at the Warsaw School of Economics or Master in Governance, Technology and Innovation in Moscow upon successful completion.

Recognition Process after graduation at partner university

To get your diploma from TU Berlin, please send to the program coordinator:

1. Your transcript of records
2. The topic of your Master thesis
3. The names of the two supervisors at the partner university
4. The name of the TU Berlin supervisor
5. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

1. Your transcript of records
2. The topic of your Master thesis
3. The names of the two supervisors
4. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

All information will be directly sent by the university.

Your diploma from TU Berlin will be issued within 2 month. The examination office will inform you, when they have issued your diploma. They can also send it directly to your address.



When will I receive my Master's degree of TU Berlin?

After you received your degree from one of the partner universities, you will receive the degree from TU Berlin. But the process might take some time and it might take several month until you receive it. 

In case you want to have your degree sent home, you should contact Team 5 at the examination office.

How can I receive a certificate of my study progress including grades from the partner university when not finished yet.

Please send your transcript of records to the program coordinator, and he/she will initiate the process. You will receive a certificate from the examination office.

How is the final grade composed?

The IMES study program is divided in compulsory, compulsory elective and elective modules. Overall 18 ECTS are scratched for the final grade. Your worst grade from each of the module category will be scratched in the end of your studies (when you accomplished all modules so it is clear which your worst grades are). However, all modules and grades will appear on your final certificate but the worst from each category will not be calculated in your average grade. For further information please see the ‘study and examination regulation’ on the IMES webpage.

Do I have to write my Master thesis at the partner university?

It depends on your choice of the partner university. If you decide to go to Twente, Warsaw or Mos­cow for a double degree, you have to write your master’s thesis at the university abroad. You will have two supervisors, one from the TU-Berlin and one at the part­ner university. If you decide to go abroad as an Erasmus student, you will write your thesis in Berlin.

Your question is still not answered?

Please check as well the double degree specific information and FAQ for each partner university in the specific sections. If you have read the website carefully and your question is not answered yet, we are looking forward to help you. Write an Email to Ines:  

Zusatzinformationen / Extras


Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Contact for Current Students

Ines Wolf
Research Assistant
Raum H7168
+49 (0)30 314-23738

Campus Map