direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Inhalt des Dokuments

FAQ - Frequently asked questions of current students

Upon Arrival

The international office can help you with visa issues and with many other concerns. Also check the general student's guide for first information. You will receive more specific information for this study program on the introduction day.

Where can I live in Berlin?

The International Office can help you with finding an accommodation in Berlin. Moreover, Berlin offers you many possibilities of cheap living. In the internet there are many platforms for finding shared apartments, e.g. www.wg-gesucht.de.

Any tips where to go and what to do?

Tip #1: Prices for a room in a shared flat can also be found between 300 and 400 Euro. Mind also areas closer to the university like Moabit or Wedding for lower prices.

Tip #2: Use bikes or scooters. Why? Because you will experience the city completely differently and you will find hidden spots on your way. There is no "Call a bike" anymore, but similiar offers like nextbike. Berlin is fast changing. A new trend is to rent cheap electrical scooters with emmy or coup. You can also easily buy a used bike for less then 100€.

Tip #3: When you drive with public transportation, don't forget to have in addition to your student card your printed certificate of enrollment with you. It will be sent to you via mail. Digital copies on your phone won't be accepted by ticket inspectors and they control especially at the beginning of the semester.

Tip #4: There are several pages on facebook to find out about interesting events and more in Berlin. One that is very recommendable is mitvergnuegen.com. (In German though, you might use it with google translator)

Will there be any scholarships available?

TU-Berlin itself does not pro­vide scholarships to students of IME. However, scholarships are available through different organizations (DAAD, Mum­mert Stiftung, Haniel Stiftung, Deutschlandstipendium etc.).

What will my double degree certificate look like?

You will receive two different certificates. The certificate for the Master of Science at TU Berlin will show 120 ECTS. The certificate of the partner university depends on how many ECTS the usual Master's degree receive. In case of a 4 semesters study it is also 120 ECTS. There is no extra information on the certificate, that you did a double degree program.

During Studies

What does the master thesis process look like?

If you write your thesis at the TU Berlin:

You have to find a chair/professor that will supervise your thesis. Also other chairs than the IME chair are possible. The process of finding a topic varies. Sometimes chairs publish possible topics, sometimes they let you find your own topic. If you already have a specific topic in mind, you should find chairs that already research in this direction and contact them with your idea.

Once you found a supervisor, they will set a timeline individually and give you their requirements. This differs from supervisor to supervisor and you have to check with her/him.


If you write your thesis at the partner university:

You will be supervised by your lecturers at the partner university (first and sometimes even a second supervisor) but you will still need a supervisor at the TU Berlin. The supervisor of TU Berlin will not be involved in the contextual and methodological supervision. He or she will read and grade your thesis after you have handed in. Henrike Weber (http://www.entrepreneurship.tu-berlin.de/menue/ueber_uns/kontakt_team_anfahrt/ansprechpartner_eim_fachgebiet/henrike_weber) will help you find a potential supervisor of our institute but this is only for the official requirements to have a second or third person who grades your thesis.



There is one graduation ceremony for all of the TU Berlin students from faculty. We do not have our own graduation ceremony for IMES.



Do I need to write two Master thesis for the double degree program?

No, you will write only one Master thesis at the partner university.

Can I take more than 30 ECTS per semester at TU Berlin?

Yes, but you are limited to registering 30 ECTS as compulsory elective modules with the examination office which will count towards your final diploma grade.

Additional ECTS may be taken (up to 60 total) as "extra modules" (Zusatzmodul). The decision whether a module should be counted towards the "compulsory elective" module section OR just as "Zusatzmodul" will need to be made at the time of registering it in the Examination Office.

*Upon request at the Examination Office, the GRADE of "extra modules" will appear on your diploma transcript. However, these grades will not be calculated in your final diploma.

Additional courses can't be substituted for credits earned during the mobility at foreign universities.

See the TU Berlin "Allgemeine Studienordnung" General Study Regulation §37 Section (2)

Can I do less than 30 credits per semester? / Part time study?

Yes, this is possible as well.

***Double Degree: You cannot begin writing your Master Thesis at the Partner University before you have completed ALL 60 ECTS at TU Berlin. However, you may write your thesis AND take final ECTS during the same semester. That will require dual enrolment and the associated costs (such as semester fees).

Can I work part time while studying?

This is also possible, as you can usually arrange your schedule to have two days completely off. Working 10-15 hours is easily possible, 20 hours might be tough at times of many deadlines and exams. For more hours a reduction of credits per semester is recommended.

How can I enroll and re-enroll for the next semester?

You need to pay the tuition fee of usually around €300 until the deadline and you will be automatically re-enrolled. You will also receive an email to your TU Berlin email address. You can find all further relevant information here.

When do I need to apply for the partner universities?

Please find more information under Partner Universities.

Do I need to be enrolled during my stay at the partner university?

Students from partner universities don't have to be enrolled at TU Berlin while their studying at their home University. However, before unenrolling from TU Berlin, make sure you attain a copy of your grade report/ transcript from QISPOS (or the examination office pending your personal needs).

Students, who directly applied to TU Berlin will have to remain enrolled at TU Berlin for the entire time of their degree studies. But they can apply for a vacation semesters (Urlaubssemester).

--> At the Campus Center you can receive application papers for that. (Ask for help at Campus Center to fill them in, since they are in German). In addition you can save the public transportation ticket with another paper. Finally, you need to pay around €60 for administrative fee (Verwaltungsgebühr) and the student body fee (Beitrag zur Studierendenschaft). A receipt of the payment is needed. You need to hand in one application for each semester. Furthermore at least a proof of acceptance at the partner university is needed in paper format. A printed email is sufficient.

Is it possible to study only in Berlin?

Each student has to complete at least 30 ECTS abroad. You can also chose a university besides Warsaw, Twente and Moscow. However, in this case you have to organize your stay abroad and arrange everything with the examination board on your own.

How can I get the credit points I gained during my Erasmus semester/single degree recognized?

Please contact Dagmar Bauer directly.

What if I cannot complete 30 ECTS during my semester abroad?

If your courses differ from your learning agreement and you won't complete the 30 ECTS due to course cancellation or else, please make sure to find other ways to achieve 30 ECTS abroad. That might mean to stay an additional semester abroad, prolonging your studies.

Undergraduate course credits cannot count towards the IMES master degree. If you cannot find any additional master level courses. Your courses need to be recognized in ECTS as per guidelines administered by the Recognition Office at TU Berlin.

Do I have to write my Master thesis at the partner university?

Double Degree students write their master's thesis at the partner University i.e. main supervision, guidelines, registration, etc. You will be assigned a secondary supervisor at the TU Berlin.

End of Studies

Diploma / Recognition Process after graduation at partner university


To get your diploma from TU Berlin, please the following information:

1. Your transcript of records (Students must request copies)
2. The topic of your Master thesis
3. The names of the two supervisors at the partner university
4. The name of the TU Berlin supervisor
5. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

1. Your transcript of records (Students must request copies)
2. The topic of your Master thesis
3. The names of the two supervisors
4. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

All information will be directly sent by the university.

Your diploma from TU Berlin will be issued within 2 month. The examination office will inform you, when they have issued your diploma. They can also send it directly to your address.



When will I receive my Master's degree of TU Berlin?

After you received your degree from one of the partner universities, you will receive the degree from TU Berlin. But the process might take some time and it might take several month until you receive it. 

In case you want to have your degree sent home, you should contact Team 5 at the examination office.

Which degrees will I get after graduating?

You will get the academic degrees Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship at TU-Berlin and either Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Business Administration at the University of Twente, Master in Management (Magister) at the Warsaw School of Economics or Master in Governance, Technology and Innovation in Moscow upon successful completion.

How is the final grade composed?

The IMES study program is divided in compulsory, compulsory elective and elective modules. Your worst grade from each of the module category will be disregarded in the grade average at the end of your studies. However, they will still be displayed on the your academic transcript. For further information please see the ‘study and examination regulation on the IMES webpage.

Your question is still not answered?

Please check as well the double degree specific information and FAQ for each partner university in the specific sections. If you have read the website carefully and your question is not answered yet, we are looking forward to help you. Write an Email to us:  

Zusatzinformationen / Extras


Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Contact for Current Students

Paul Wolf
Research Assistant
Raum H7168
+49 (0)30 314-23738

Campus Map