direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Inhalt des Dokuments

FAQ - Frequently asked questions of current students

Upon Arrival

The international office can help you with visa issues and with many other concerns. Also check the general student's guide for first information. You will receive more specific information for this study program on the introduction day.

Where can I live in Berlin?

The International Office can help you with finding an accommodation in Berlin. Moreover, Berlin offers you many possibilities of cheap living. In the internet there are many platforms for finding shared apartments, e.g. www.wg-gesucht.de.

Any tips where to go and what to do?

Tip #1: Prices for a room in a shared flat can also be found between 300 and 400 Euro. Mind also areas closer to the university like Moabit or Wedding for lower prices.

Tip #2: Use bikes or scooters. Why? Because you will experience the city completely differently and you will find hidden spots on your way. There is no "Call a bike" anymore, but similiar offers like nextbike. Berlin is fast changing. A new trend is to rent cheap electrical scooters with emmy or coup. You can also easily buy a used bike for less then 100€.

Tip #3: When you drive with public transportation, don't forget to have in addition to your student card your printed certificate of enrollment with you. It will be sent to you via mail. Digital copies on your phone won't be accepted by ticket inspectors and they control especially at the beginning of the semester.

Tip #4: There are several pages on facebook to find out about interesting events and more in Berlin. One that is very recommendable is mitvergnuegen.com. (In German though, you might use it with google translator)

Will there be any scholarships available?

TU-Berlin itself does not pro­vide scholarships to students of IMES. However, scholarships are available through different organizations (DAAD, Mum­mert Stiftung, Haniel Stiftung, Deutschlandstipendium etc.).

What will my double degree certificate look like?

You will receive two different certificates. The certificate for the Master of Science at TU Berlin will show 120 ECTS. The certificate of the partner university depends on how many ECTS the usual Master's degree receive. In case of a 4 semesters study it is also 120 ECTS. There is no extra information on the certificate, that you did a double degree program.

During Studies

When do I need to seek nomination for the partner university?

As study places are limited at some partner universities, you will need explain your motivation and possibly interview to ensure that the distribution is suitable. You should chose your partner university by November 15th.

Please find more information under Partner Universities.

Can I take more than 30 ECTS per semester at TU Berlin?

Yes, but you are limited to registering 30 ECTS as compulsory elective modules with the examination office which will count towards your final diploma grade.

Additional ECTS may be taken (up to 60 total) as "extra modules" (Zusatzmodul). The decision whether a module should be counted towards the "compulsory elective" module section OR just as "Zusatzmodul" will need to be made at the time of registering it in the Examination Office.

*Upon request at the Examination Office, the GRADE of "extra modules" will appear on your diploma transcript. However, these grades will not be calculated in your final diploma.

Additional courses can't be substituted for credits earned during the mobility at foreign universities.

See the TU Berlin "Allgemeine Studienordnung" General Study Regulation §37 Section (2)

Can I do less than 30 credits per semester? / Part time study?

Yes, this is possible as well.

***Double Degree: You cannot begin writing your Master Thesis at the Partner University before you have completed ALL 60 ECTS at TU Berlin. However, you might write your thesis and complete final ECTS during the same semester. That will require dual enrollment, bearing additional costs (such as semester fees and travel).

Can I work part time while studying?

This is also possible, as you can usually arrange your schedule to have two days completely off. Working 10-15 hours is easily possible, 20 hours might be tough at times of many deadlines and exams. For more hours a reduction of credits per semester is recommended.

How can I enroll and re-enroll for the next semester?

You need to pay the tuition fee of around €315 until the deadline and you will be automatically re-enrolled. You will also receive an email to your TU Berlin email address. You can find all further relevant information here.

What if I cannot complete 30 ECTS during my semester abroad?

If your courses differ from your learning agreement and you won't complete the 30 ECTS due to course cancellation or else, please make sure to find other ways to achieve 30 ECTS abroad. That might mean to stay an additional semester abroad, or completing an ECTS awarding summer school, thereby prolonging your studies.

Undergraduate course credits cannot count towards the IMES master degree. If you cannot find any additional master level courses. Your courses need to be recognized in ECTS as per guidelines administered by the Recognition Office at TU Berlin.

Do I need to be enrolled during my stay at the partner university?

Students from partner universities don't have to be enrolled at TU Berlin while their studying at their home University. However, before unenrolling from TU Berlin, make sure you attain a copy of your grade report/ transcript from QISPOS (or the examination office pending your personal needs).

Students, who directly applied to TU Berlin will have to remain enrolled at TU Berlin for the entire time of their degree studies. But they can apply for a vacation semesters (Urlaubssemester).

--> At the Campus Center you can receive application papers for that. (Ask for help at Campus Center to fill them in, since they are in German). In addition you can save the public transportation ticket with another paper. Finally, you need to pay around €60 for administrative fee (Verwaltungsgebühr) and the student body fee (Beitrag zur Studierendenschaft). A receipt of the payment is needed. You need to hand in one application for each semester. Furthermore at least a proof of acceptance at the partner university is needed in paper format. A printed email is sufficient.

Transferring TU Berlin ECTS to Double Degree Partner Universities

You must request your transcript from the Examination Office at TU Berlin, and submit it to your Double Degree partner University coordinator.

This means, before you go, you should get it in person and bring it with you. Additionally, you might request that it is sent to you. Please note this is all managed at the Examination Office (Prüfungsamt).

How can I get the credit points gained abroad recognized at TU Berlin?

Please complete this form electronically, and submit it to  along with the corresponding international academic transcript.

If you are completing the double degree, you may do this AFTER you defend your Master Thesis and your grade is on your academic transcript.

Master Thesis

Do I need to write two Master thesis for the double degree program?

No, you will write only one Master thesis at the partner university.

Double Degree Thesis

Double Degree Thesis:

Supervision will be conducted primarily by a professor(s) at the partner university (first and sometimes even a second supervisor) but you will still need a supervisor at the TU Berlin. The supervisor of TU Berlin may not be involved in the contextual and methodological supervision. Nevertheless, he or she is on your thesis committee and will review and grade your thesis.

To be assigned a TU Berlin supervisor, please submit the following information to Dr. Henrike Weber when it is available, your:

  • Double degree university supervisor name(s) and contact
  • Thesis title
  • Planned submission date
  • TU Berlin Student number
  • Most current QISPOS academic record

TU Berlin Thesis Only - Special Case

TU Berlin Thesis:

  • Find a chair & professor that will supervise your thesis. In addition to EIM, other chairs at Faculty VII can also supervise your thesis.
  • Write a research proposal. You may submit a proposal to a research call, or you might propose your own own topic. If you already have a specific topic in mind, you should find chairs that already research in this direction and contact them with your idea. Each chair might have different requirements for the proposal. Please refer to the respective homepages. 
  • Once you found a supervisor, they will set a timeline individually and confirm further requirements. This differs from supervisor to supervisor and you have to check with her/him.

End of Studies

Diploma / ECTS Recognition Process after your study abroad.


To get your ECTS credited for your TU Berlin diploma, please complete this form electronically, and submit it with your transcript to  , (as well as the following for double degree students).


1. Transcript of records, including Thesis grade (Students must request copies)
2. The Title of your Master thesis
3. The names of the two supervisors at the partner university
4. The name of the TU Berlin supervisor
5. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

1. Transcript of records, including Thesis grade (Students must request copies)
2. The Title of your Master thesis / Master Exam/Defense Protocol
3. The names of the two supervisors
4. Your matriculation number at TU Berlin

All other information will be directly sent by the university.

Your diploma from TU Berlin will then be issued within 2 months. The examination office will inform you, when they have prepared your diploma for pick-up. They can also send it directly to your address, but this must arranged with them.



When will I receive my Master's degree of TU Berlin?

After you received your degree from one of the partner universities, you will receive the degree from TU Berlin. But the process might take some time and it might take several month until you receive it. 

In case you want to have your degree sent home, you should contact Team 5 at the examination office.

Which degrees will I get after graduating?

You will get the academic degrees Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship at TU-Berlin and either Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Business Administration at the University of Twente, Master in Management (Magister) at the Warsaw School of Economics or Master in Governance, Technology and Innovation in Moscow upon successful completion.

How is the final grade composed?

The IMES study program is divided in compulsory, compulsory elective and elective modules. Your worst grade from each of the module categories will be disregarded in the grade average at the end of your studies. However, they will still be displayed on the academic transcript. For further information please see the ‘study and examination regulation PDF above.

Your question is still not answered?

Please check as well the double degree specific information and FAQ for each partner university in the specific sections. If you have read the website carefully and your question is not answered yet, we are looking forward to help you. Write an Email to us:  

Zusatzinformationen / Extras


Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Contact for Current Students

Paul Wolf
Research Assistant
Raum H7168
+49 (0)30 314-23738

Campus Map